A Stanton apartment caught fire Wednesday night during a crazy night of weather.
Fire Chief Kory Krutz said Stanton Fire & Rescue was called to a fire in downtown Stanton around 6:40 p.m. The apartment is owned by Louise Boyd and located at 913 Ivy.
According to Krutz, apartment resident Jonie Schmeckpeper noticed the fire upon her arrival and called for assistance. She was able to escape the fire without injury and is now staying with family.
Krutz said Stanton firefighters were able to extinguish the flames in about 20 minutes and spent the next 2 hours venting and checking for hot spots.
Krutz said the cause of the fire is believed to be electrical. He said apartment suffered extensive damage.
Stanton Fire & Rescue, The Stanton County Sheriff’s Department and Stanton County Emergency Management responded to the fire.